Goodbye 2010, Welcome 2011

Another year behind us, and new and fresh year ahead. I love the newness and freshness and hope that comes with a new year.

I also take time to reflect on the year that has passed. This year is no exception. This past year has been a year of pruning. "I [Jesus] am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in Me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit He prunes so that it will be even more fruitful...I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in Me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing." John 15;1,2,5. Pruning is uncomfortable, and it hurts sometimes. I'm not a gardener, so I did some research to understand how, when, and why to prune.

There are a few reasons to prune: safety, aesthetics, and health. All these can certainly apply to me, but given my study and understanding of Scripture, I feel safe to say that the type of pruning focused on in John 15 is for my health...that I may be more fruitful because apart from Christ I can do nothing. God is more concerned about the health of our hearts and souls, so He prunes. Sometimes it's obvious that a bush needs to be pruned because its branches are browning and dried up. But sometimes, it is not so obvious.

Sometimes the gardener can see things beginning deeper in the branches (closer to the vine) that is unhealthy and will lead to future damage. Or perhaps he can see how a branch will later grow in a direction that will not be good, and so he will redirect the growth. To the branch, this type of pruning may seem confusing and unnecessary. Why is my gardener cutting off parts of me that appear healthy and fine. Why is he doing this...it hurts? Perhaps the branch (me) thinks that a particular branch that is being pruned bore fruit in the past, so why is it being cut off now. These questions are being asked by the one who does not see the big picture. I can relate to Job's confusion, and like him, still know there was a purpose in it all: "Behold, I go forward and He is not there, and backward, but I can not perceive Him; when He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right, I cannot see Him. But He knows the way I take; when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold." Job 23:8-10.

This year I have been stretched, pulled, cut, and have felt much heat. It has been uncomfortable and it has hurt. But I trust my Gardener; I trust my God. He knows what He is doing, even when I do not. He has promised to perfect me until the day of Christ (Philippians 1:6), and He is committed to doing so. I'm thankful for this past year, because I'm thankful for my faithful and trustworthy God who loves me and cares for me.

And so, I look forward to this next year. I'm looking forward to growing and bearing more fruit for His Name's sake. What will 2011 bring...I wonder. (Smiling.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved the blog, Happy 2011 to the Kirkwoods...

I do feel "God Brings us to it" for reasons, the reasons we may never ever know, but they are to make us stronger .. We have to totally trust ..

Again Happy Happy Happy Happy New Year...

Unknown said...

Loved the blog, Happy 2011 to the Kirkwoods...

I do feel "God Brings us to it" for reasons, the reasons we may never ever know, but they are to make us stronger .. We have to totally trust ..

Again Happy Happy Happy Happy New Year...

Anonymous said...

Well put! Thanks!