Finding Joy in the Ordinary

As our family was driving home today, I was looking around. I began to see deeper than the surface. I watched faces of strangers walking alongside the road carrying their loads. Some talking with others, some sitting silently alone. Some faces wrinkled in laughter, while some in pain. Stores were filled with people as usual. Motorcycles and cars heading to their destinations. It was a typical day in our town. Nothing exciting, nothing out of the ordinary.

But that is the very thing that caught my mind's attention.

Today is a normal day. There is nothing special about today. It doesn't look like Christmas Eve - although it is. That caused me think about the day before Jesus was born so long ago. It was most likely a typical day, just like today. It didn't feel like the world was about to receive the best and most life-changing gift ever. Probably no one in Bethlehem took much notice of the man and woman entering that town; nor did they realize that the precious child within that young girl would "cause the rise and fall of many" and that through Him the "thoughts from many hearts may be revealed." There it was, a day like any other - except it wasn't.

I began to look more intently at these faces that flashed past my car window. I imagine what I was seeing at that moment might be like those in the town of Bethlehem on that "ordinary" day long ago. People going about their day not realizing, "upon them a Light dawned." Oh, if only they had eyes to see what was happening! What joy! What awe! What tears would flow!

So, as weird as it sounds, this moment driving in the car, excited my heart and brought more of the "Christmas spirit" into my soul than any street lined with snow and lights and carols and beautifully-wrapped gifts every could. It made me realize what a gift I have in knowing and embracing what an UN-ordinary day it is today; and that I can joyously and fearlessly look forward to the next "ordinary" day that will amaze us all!

It is most definitely GOOD news of GREAT joy! Merriest Christmas to you all!

No comments: