Words were flying at me at a mile a minute. My feet hadn't even touched the floor yet from the night's sleep. Both girls were up early and at my bedside pleading their case as to which one was in the wrong. "Slow down" was my reply to them. "Slow down" was my reply to me.
I remember these wise words coming from my mentor (who is now a very dear and close friend) many years ago. Something she would remind herself of often - slow down. When the world is coming at me; when my emotions are being stirred up quickly; when thoughts are bouncing rapidly in my head...slow down. "Conduct yourselves with wisdom...let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person." Colossians 4:5-6.
When everyone seems to want our attention at the same time; when the telephone rings and the news isn't good; when every news channel on the TV seems to pound uncertainty into the heart and mind, the thoughts and emotions can go from 0-100mph in record time, can't they?! Almost without notice. Proverbs warns us, "...everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty." (21:5) and "Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him." (29:20).
Slow down. Aren't those words refreshing. Slow down. These simple words are balm to my soul. They fall in opposition to our culture which screams, Hurry up! React! Don't think, just do it - now! But that is just foolish. The truth is: I don't need to immediately respond to each and every situation. I am given time (whether much or little) to consider my response. Time to lead my heart, mind and emotions. Time to pray, "...pray at all times in the Spirit..." Ephesians 6:18. God is there, and He is ready to take on all our anxieties, because He cares for us (1 Peter 5:7).
As a wife and mom, I want to model temperate responses, not impulsive ones, for my family. I want my husband and daughters to rest in knowing that Mom isn't going to go ballistic on them or become frantic and fearful when unsettling news comes or when the lot falls unfavorably. I want to model for them a woman who hopes in God. One who has a gentle and quiet spirit, and whose disposition is calming because she fully trusts in her God in the midst of her circumstances and relies on Him for her strength.
"Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God." Psalm 42:11.
So, this morning, I took a moment (with both girls' lips moving at lightening speed) to slow myself down and ask God for the patience, discernment, and sweetness of speech to respond to my children in a way that would point them to the patience and graciousness of God. And then to address the situation at hand in a sober-minded and temperate manner. By my choosing to slow down, my children's hearts and lips slowed down too. "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1. I'm thankful that by God's grace I was able to slow down to consider a gentle answer and not just react with a harsh word.
Will you take the time to slow down today?

6 comments:
So wise Megan!
Good reminder, thank you Megan!
Yes! This morning the kids and I read Psalm 103 and I repeated verse 8 a few times for them...and me
"The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness."
slow to anger stuck out to me and I showed them what that looked like (don't ask how) lol
Psalm 131 is one God brings to remembrance often when I need to slow down, be still and quiet. Enjoyed this post!
Thanks, Linda! :)
-Megan
Hi Elissa! You're welcome! I need this reminder often! :)
-Megan
Altarofheaven, "slow to anger"...yes! Don't you just love that that description of God is repeated numerous times throughout Scripture?! It's very telling of God's character, and if we're suppose to "be imitators of God as beloved children" Eph. 5:1, then we ought to be the same! Thanks for sharing those verses! :)
-Megan
Post a Comment