I am about to finish up an entire year of reading the Old Testament Scriptures...and it has left me wanting.
I have been reading of God's discipline daily for almost four months now and it has been emotionally and spiritually exhausting. Yet, throughout the heavy chapters of God's chastisement of Israel's disobedience, God has so beautifully interwoven glimpses of Hope amid the heavy mounds of hardship. Moments of life-giving relief. Moments that affirm His love and care for His people. Moments of His Divine Promise. These blessed passages in Scripture pour forth glorious rays of Light into such a dark time of history. As I pore over these words, my spirit is overwhelmed by refreshing waves of peace - His peace...because I know to whom they are referring; I know Who is coming! But, the Israelites didn't know that...yet.
"The people who walk in darkness will see a great light; those who live in a dark land, the light will shine on them...for a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. There will be no end to the increase of His government of peace..." Isaiah 9:2,6-7
"Then a shoot will spring from the stem of Jesse, and a branch from his roots will bear fruit. The Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him...with righteousness He will judge the poor, and decide with fairness for the afflicted of the earth...and His resting place will be glorious." Isaiah 11:1-2,4,10
"[The Lord] will swallow up death for all time, and the Lord God will wipe tears away from all faces, and He will remove the reproach of His people from all the earth...and it will be said in that day, 'Behold, this is our God for whom we have waited that He might save us. Let us rejoice and be glad in His salvation." Isaiah 25:8-9
"Take courage, fear not. Behold, your God will come with vengeance; the recompense of God will come, but He will save you. Then the eyes of the blind will be opened and the ears of the deaf will be unstopped. Then the lame will leap like a deer, and the tongue of the mute will shout for joy..." Isaiah 35:4-6
As I am nearing the end of the Old Testament Scriptures, walking through it with the eyes of a weary person in that time, my heart cries out, "Hurry! Hurry, O Lord, and send this Savior! We need Him! I need Him!"
That is where I'm at right now in my reading - turning the last pages of the Old Testament Scriptures. Eagerly awaiting the promised Savior; the Perfect Gift from above. Paralleling the Israelites' longing, yet mine not being for His coming...but for His returning! Anxiously desiring and anticipating His arrival. Looking toward the future Hope that is found in Him alone with an intense and deep longing for Jesus.
The perfect preparation for Christmas!

No comments:
Post a Comment