Pointing Them Higher


I love being a parent. I truly mean that. Even on those I-can't-wait-until-bedtime days {I know you have those days too!}.

I love being a parent because I have learned far more about the Father's love for us since becoming a parent, than I could have possibly imagined beforehand. And I have discovered His love to be immeasurably more amazing than I had even dreamed possible. 

And I want my children's hearts to discover this too.

"See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God" {1 John 3:1}.

I love how John invites us to see how great the Father's love is. To experience it. To taste the beauty of this love...because we are His children.

As a parents in the Lord, my husband's and my goal is to point our children to the better parent - our Father in heaven, our Abba {Daddy}. To imitate the Lord well so that they may recognize and know Him better {Eph. 5:1}. To lavish upon them such evidence of our delight in them that when they read and hear of God's delight over them in the Scriptures, they will be able to comprehend such love and embrace it. {Matthew 5:16}


"The Lord your God is in your midst, a victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy." Zephaniah 3:17.

Of course we fail {daily} to reflect Jesus accurately. But, our heart's desire is to see Him magnified and adored in our children's hearts. And we thank Jesus that even despite our failures to be faithful, He never fails to be. "If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself." 2 Timothy 2:13. That's amazing grace...and it allows us to point our children's eyes to Him, once again, as the faithful One on whom we can always depend.

Let us commit to winning the hearts of our children, so that when we tell them of the Faithful One who loves them immeasurably more than we do, they would believe {Proverbs 23:26}.

O Lord, Your love is far greater than mine, and I thank You for it. Purify my love for my children that they may become acquainted with You through me, and then embrace You as their very own. Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I absolutely adore the way you see the world. Thanks for sharing. Raising our children to love the Lord is so incredibly important.

It's funny, although I have heard this sentiment a million times, this was the first time I actually realized it was from the bible. Thank you so much for sharing.

Let us commit to winning the hearts of our children, so that when we tell them of the Faithful One who loves them immeasurably more than we do, they would believe {Proverbs 23:26}.