School...Now In Session


School started a couple days ago for aviation maintenance. It has been very different to get back into a classroom setting. Many of the students just got out of high school or college but I just got done working for the last eleven years. Though I am not familiar with school, this school is very familiar with people like me. One of the FAA requirements for training aviation technicians, is that they learn (or relearn) basic arithmetic.
That's right, a class on addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. At first, I admit, I thought it was kind of silly. As the math progressed in to fractions, square roots and many others, I realized that I forgot everything I learned in high school. Now we are in geometry and Monday we'll be in Trigonometry. It's been amazing to meet many of the students and see how God has arranged their lives to get here. Especially because they range from 18 to 55 years old!.
The group is very diverse. We have Alaskan Eskimos, a couple guys from Norway and England, farmers, mechanics (I'm in that category) and a whole batch of others. Right now I have two other classes: Electrical and Aviation Safety. It's going to be an exciting year.

Megan and Catelyn are doing great. Catelyn is talking a whole lot more and is meeting a bunch of new people. Megan is starting to get to know some of the students wives which has been very cool. Many of the students didn't move in until last minute so the opportunities haven't been as prominent until now. We are just very excited about where God has us right now.

The storms are pretty great here. Although I am not sure that it is normal for this time of year. Thus far, this month has gotten 8 inches of rain in a month that averages 3.75 inches. Lots of lightning and wind and hard rain. It is powerful to see wind bring in clouds like these and lighting flashing every few seconds. I can't help but think of Job 36:32 "He covers his hands with the lightning and commands it to strike the mark." If you keep reading, you'll see that He tells the clouds where to go and the wind where the to blow. God commands all that. The cool thing is, they don't argue or debate with Him as to where they will go. I hope we as a family can reflect that same submission to God and maybe our obedience will be as obvious to the lost world as the violent and not so violent storms that obey Him.

2 comments:

The McComb Family said...

tell catelyn quinn said hi! You guys look cool with airplanes.

Dave Shock said...

Great to hear from you. Keep focused as we pray for you all.