Serving as a Family

It was one of the those evenings.

The good kind.

The kind of evening when you are given the gift of sitting back and really seeing what is going on around you. The Good things.

In my Bible I use different items as my bookmarks. So when I open up God's Word each morning, I am greeted with these little reminders. Things I want to pray for daily. I have several: a little Valentine from my husband to remind me to pray for him and for our marriage, a few pictures of families that we support in their efforts to make Christ's name known around the world, a bookmark my daughter gave me one Mother's Day that reminds me to pray about leading my girls in a way that honors the Lord, among other sweet reminders.

One other one is a family picture that my oldest drew for me when her hands were much smaller and her little fingers awkwardly, but endearingly, gripped a well-worn crayon.

This beautiful masterpiece serves me in so many ways. It inspires me, challenges me, makes me smile, makes me cry. It makes me long for the glory of heaven.

In the mornings, I unfold this treasure and lay it out before me. And I pray. I pray for our family. I pray for each member's smiling face. I pray that God would use us as individuals to bring glory and attention to our God. That we would take great delight in using the unique gifts, desires, and talents that God has given to each one of us to be a blessing and to exalt the name of Christ. 



"For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly..." Romans 12:4-6

But I also pray that we would be able to make an even greater impact and display of His amazing grace and glory as we serve and worship together, as one, as a family. 

I saw this last night. 

A beautiful gift from my Savior in whom I long to reflect. 

Yesterday, after working all day, my husband went to several houses to help move furniture for homes that have been flooded in our region this week. He finally came home after dark exhausted and soaking wet, and brought with him a couple of those whom he had served {and served with}. My husband served beautifully. Selflessly. Like his Lord.

Upon entering our home they were greeted to a hot shower, a warm meal upon the table, and dry beds with pillows awaiting to relieve their heavy-laden hearts and weary heads.

My oldest served these men with such love and grace. In the simplest, yet most thoughtful of ways. Wanting them to feel welcomed and loved.

As her daddy and our guests ate their late dinner, my youngest grabbed a handful of crayons and began drawing pictures. Soon her sister joined in, and later they presented their "gifts" to our guests along with their we're-glad-you're-here hugs.

As they ate, the guys began describing the damage they had seen, and how they helped others with their homes. Our guests, who love our Lord, chose to serve others before addressing their own home. Such a beautiful illustration of Christ, and of considering others more important than themselves. 

I am blessed and thankful to see such Beauty here. 

As we all sat around the table talking, encouraging one another, being spurred on by one another, I leaned back and began to allow the Lord to give me eyes to see; to soak it all in. Our family {both in blood and faith} is serving...together...as one. What a precious and powerful gift. A gift that I hope to enjoy many times over in the years to come.
God is good. 

My heart is full.

Oh Lord, Your ways are far greater than I know. Thank You for the grace of serving. Thank You for the family that You have given to me, and that we are able to serve in the joy, strength and grace that You provide. All for Your glory...and our joy. Amen.

No comments: