My girls and I are sitting in our school room doing arts and crafts on this dark grey, rainy day. As they sit creatively at their art table, I am gazing outside into the storm. The powerful wind and rain is beating relentlessly at the windows. We have to shout in order to talk. I get back from laying towels down from the five leaks we now have in our ceiling. Our neighbor's house across the street is but a blur through the downpour. Similar to driving in hard rain, expect without the windshield wipers giving moments of clarity - there is not seeing past our front yard right now.
My attention is drawn to the small red-blossoming tree that is planted outside the window. It is being bent half over, the leaves and blossoms are violently flapping in the wind and being pounded by the sheets of rain. It reminds me of a verse in Scripture, "...the root of the righteous will not be moved." Proverbs 12:3. Though this seemingly delicate tree is being tossed and battered by the rain, it is not uprooted. It is firmly rooted in the ground.
May I be like this tree outside. When the difficult and unfavorable times come, may I be found firmly rooted in Christ. Though I may seem to be battered on the outside, I will not be moved. My security, my strength, my health and well-being is found deeper still. I will be able to say with Paul, "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed." 2 Corinthians 4:7-9. I can trust in the sure foundation of Christ, for He will never disappoint or fail. In Him I can stand secure. Jesus tells us all, "Everyone who comes to Me and hears My words and acts on them, I will show you whom he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid a foundation on the rock; and when a flood occurred, the torrent burst against the house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who has heard and has not acted accordingly, is like a man who built a house on the ground without any foundation; and the torrent burst against it and it immediately collapsed, and the ruin of that house was great." Luke 6:47-49.
I am wise to do the necessary work before the storm comes, so that I'm not caught off-guard when the wind and the rain begins to beat. While the sun is still shining and the skies are clear, I can be abiding in Him; practicing the coming (humility before the LORD in prayer), the hearing (reading His Word), and the acting (obeying). That way, I am familiar with my Foundation and trust in His faithfulness and strength, and so I am not shaken when the torrent is rattling my leaves, for I know He is there.
So, when the rain is coming down in sheets blanketing my vision and battering my outsides, may I be found as Hezekiah was, "He trusted in the LORD, the God of Israel...for he clung to the LORD; he did not depart from following Him, but kept His commandments..." 2 Kings 18:5-6.
Hold on, little tree, the storm won't last forever.

No comments:
Post a Comment