Rest.
That is our plan for our time back in the States...rest. These past few years overseas have been wonderful, tiring, encouraging, convicting, faith-building, trying...life-changing. And so, we need good rest. Refreshing rest. God-glorifying rest.
We are finding it a bit more difficult to rest here. Life is just so busy and fast-paced in America. But that just means we need to be more intentional. More discerning with what we do with our time. Even if that means saying "no" to some good things, in order to say "yes" to the best things {those things that are most beneficial and restful for our family}.
God commanded His people to rest...because it is good for us, and we need it. "...the sons of Israel shall observe the Sabbath...it is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed." Exodus 31:16-17. Yet many of us neglect it, either fooling ourselves into thinking we don't need it, or by pushing it off until a later time. Yet we do need it...we so desperately do.
Let us not be fooled, real rest doesn't come automatically. It doesn't just happen. It, much like our work, requires an intentional and joyful pursuit.
It is so easy to "veg out" for hours watching T.V. or mindlessly browse the internet and call it "resting." But are we deceiving ourselves? Do we really feel rested afterwards? I know I don't. "Checking out" isn't rest for my soul. I rarely feel refreshed from time spent on Pinterest? I scarcely feel the renewal of my mind that Romans 12:2 describes from watching the popular T.V. shows. Does anyone else feel the same?
I don't know about you, but I need rest. I need to be refreshed. After a season of hard, faithful work, {whether it be a year, a month, a week, or even a day!}, I need refreshment for my mind, body and soul. I need Jesus to fill me up; to revive me by His love and strength. "He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul." Psalm 23:2-3. When God's children work well for the Lord, they need the rest. He made them that way. He made us to be dependent upon Him; to rest in Him. To rest with Him.
True rest, not only renews but engages my mind. It quickens my soul to the Spirit's presence and work in my life. It brings peace. T.V. and internet do not achieve this for me. In fact, it often does the opposite. I deceive myself when I foolishly replace intentional God-glorifying rest with the ease of turning on a screen as a counterfeit source of refreshment - and yes, I do this at times. {Now, please understand that I am not saying T.V. and internet are bad and should not be enjoyed - for God gave us all things to enjoy. But I am saying that I have found that those are not good and useful avenues of rest for me}.
So what good is that? What good is that "resting," if we don't truly feel refreshed? Doesn't that seem unproductive and fruitless? To know if we've fallen into the fruitless "rest," let's simply consider how we approach Monday morning. Are we ready for another week of work, or do we dread it because it felt like we didn't get a break at all? How about that vacation? Do we need a vacation from the vacation? What was our goal and intention for the vacation? Did we even have a plan?
Let us learn to not only work well, but to rest well. And let us rest well so that we can serve well. Let us be intentional with our times of rest. As with all else in our lives, let us pray and seek the Lord as to how our heart, mind, and body would be most refreshed and restored...and how often we might need it. Perhaps it's daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly. Perhaps it's by sitting outside listening to the sound of birds singing while reading a Christ-exalting book, or a soothing walk in the cool of the day, or maybe listening to a message that feeds your soul and inspires you to live more wholly for Christ, or perhaps it is simply having a meal with your family or friends as you talk about your week and encourage one another with Scripture as you build one another up in the Lord. Whatever it is...let us do it well...do it unto the Lord.
"Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do [rest], do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31.
So, if {when!} there is a period of silence on our blog, that is us trying to rest well while we're Stateside. Enjoying Christ as a family and pursing that which builds up one another and the Body of Christ. Seeking to fill up on the One who brings true and lasting joy and refreshment, namely Jesus.
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28. Oh Lord, thank you for knowing us so well!
Are you in need of rest today? Where will you go to find it?
No comments:
Post a Comment