We finished our first week of 5th and 1st grade yesterday. Not only is this the first day of 5th and 1st grade for my kids, but it is also the first day of teaching 5th grade for me. Every year I am learning how to teach a new grade. No wonder after 5 years of teaching, I still feel like I am just beginning!
I give myself and my kids much grace during the first week {or two} of school. I call it our "transition week." Time to get back into the swing of things and tweak things that need some tweaking {because there always is!}.
Since I have been asked many times about what our school day looks like, I will share it here.
As with every year, we start off each day by praying for God to go before us in our work, followed by singing to Him. And, wow, as I type this now, a new thought comes to mind, I think I'd like to finish our school days with singing as well. That way, when we rise we are praising Him and when we are done {despite what kind of day we just had} we still have His praises on our lips. "Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, my lips will praise You." Psalm 63:3
We then spend the next few hours learning about the world that our God has created and sustains by His Word. Drawing out the truth that it is by and through Christ alone that all things exist. That Math, Science, History, Art, and Music are all from Him and all point to Him. "For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities - all things have been created through Him and for Him." Colossians 1:16
The books we began reading during the first week of school.
The girls reading a special note from their daddy on the first day of school.
So, as we enter into another school year, we lay our requests before the One who is able to provide for all that we need...and then we wait with great expectation. Oh, is He ever faithful and able!
Happy schooling, everyone!
*If you'd like more details/specifics on what we do in school, please feel free to ask. I'm happy to share. Also, I'd love to hear from you - what do you do when it comes to teaching/training your kids!





1 comment:
I'd love to know what you're using curriculum wise this year. Were not starting for another several weeks - squeezing out every last bit of "summer" we can!!
Post a Comment