It Makes Me Happy

Instead of singing with the rest of us, she is sitting, carefully writing on the gray card.

My first-grader loves to sing to Jesus, but her little heart gets nervous when other people outside her family hear her sing. She thinks her voice isn't good. Despite what her daddy and I tell her.

So, yesterday morning, as the music began to play she started to sing, but then her voice trailed off. I knew what she was thinking. So, I whispered into her ear, "Sweetie, you have a beautiful voice. I love to hear you sing, but I know that Jesus, who made your voice, loves it even more. But, if you'd prefer, you can sit down and write your heart's song to Him instead." So she did.

After a song or two, I glance down and see the words filling most of the card. {A card in which people are invited to write a prayer request and/or ask a question of the church staff.} She was just finishing.

She handed me the card. My heart not ready for the profound encouragement I was about to receive through the faith of this child.

Under the heading "Prayer Request," she began by confessing her sin to the Lord, and asking for forgiveness. She trusts Him to do as He says He will.

Then the next part.

Under "Question?" she asked two. "Why did Jesus die on the cross for our sins?" and "Why do we have to love God more?" 

I was confused. My eyebrows furrowed. I know she knows the answers to these, because she's told them to me many times over. So, being careful not to have my questioning sound judgmental or condemning, but rather my sincere curiosity to know, I ask.

"Honey, do you know the answers to these questions?"

"Yes." she replied with her toothless smile.

"Then why are you asking them?"

My heart unaware of what is coming.

"Because I want to hear the answer again. It makes me happy."

It makes her happy.

Hearing the story of redemption, the Gospel, makes my daughter happy. She doesn't care if she's heard it countless times before. She wants to hear it again. She knows the story. She simply wants it to fill her heart and mind again. It makes her happy.

I stood speechless for a moment. Tears slowly pooling in my eyes. The Gospel is precious to her. A treasure of joy. It doesn't get old or tiresome or commonplace. It brings her joy.

"How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" Psalm 119:103

Oh, that we would have this same disposition toward the Gospel! That it would never grow old. Never lose its piercing grace in our hearts. Never fade into the common. But rather startle us by its brilliance. Thrill us by its extravagance. Still us by its power. Draw us close by its love.

"For God so loved the world, that He have His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:16

"But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:4-7

Yes. This is good news. Glad tidings. And I am glad. I want {and need!} to hear it every single day.

It makes me happy too.

O Lord, You have done great things for us. But nothing more so does my heart rejoice in, and is humbled by, than when You died on the cross for me. It should have been me there. But You, O God, took that punishment for me. My soul is forever thankful to You and for You, Jesus. You have bought me and made me Yours forever. And I am glad. Amen.

No comments: